Re: format for technical writing portfolios

Subject: Re: format for technical writing portfolios
From: Chuck Martin <cmartin -at- SEEKERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:10:12 -0700

While there are no stricgt conventions, I developed an idea that has been
very successful for me. I think it is very user-oriented.

I take several work samples: book chapters, printouts from Help screens,
journal articles, and make copies. Always doubl;e-sided; no need to waste
paper. I create a cover. I include a table of contents, followed by a
resume. I have all of this copied at a local copy shop, with the cover on
color card stock. I have a blank back cover added, then have it tape bound.

The result: when I go to an interview, instead of having a fancy
leather-bound book that an interviewer has just a few minutes to glance
through, I simply hand them the portfolio, tell them to keep it and review
it at their leisure. They can then see in detail the quality of my work
without feeling rushed.

My most recent portfolio runs about 60-70 sheets of peper total, with three
substantial samples of printed documentation, plus a half dozen printouts
of Help screens, as well as other assorted material. While each of these
costs several dollars each to produce, I think it's an excellent
investment, as well as an example of how important I view the end user
under any circumstance.

--
"You don't look American"
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere"