Bloated graphics!

Subject: Bloated graphics!
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:18:28 -0500

Andrea Kelso, writing to summarize the results of her
problem with bloated graphics, opined <<My lesson: Never,
Never, Never, No matter how small, use True Colour Images
in a help file.>>

Sorry, couldn't resist (so don't take this as a flame). I'd
add "except when the purpose is to show what something
really looks like". The general rule is to use the minimum
number of colors you can safely use without compromising
the point you want to communicate. In photo editing or
medical imaging software, for example, you might very well
have to accept occasional use of true color graphics.