trademarks

Subject: trademarks
From: Gila Jones <majones -at- EXO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:01:53 -0700

I need a little information about trademarks. I know this is not
strictly on-topic, but we techwhirlers often end up as jacks of all
trades and get experience with a diverse group of business problems.

Let's say there's a product on the market with the trademarked name
of "SNARK!". I have a product of my own called Wiffle, and I've
developed a neat add-on for the SNARK! that makes it work
hand-in-hand with my Wiffle. I am hoping that lots of SNARK! users
will want to buy Wiffle once I make the add-on available. (I will
probably charge only a nominal fee for my add-on and intend for it
mainly to generate Wiffle business.)

If I call my product "Wiffle for SNARK!" might I encounter any
significant trademark issues?

I would be very grateful if you would respond only if you know the
answer or are pretty sure of the answer. I'm already drowning in
speculative input and don't need any more!

Or, if you know of another mailing list or newsgroup that talks about
this kind of stuff, I'd be interested in hearing about that, too.

Thanks!

Gila Jones --- majones -at- exo -dot- com