SAP R/3, ...a bit of boning up for a job...

Subject: SAP R/3, ...a bit of boning up for a job...
From: "e. farstad" <efarstad -at- NETWALK -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:36:53 -0700

At 08:22 PM 9/10/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello,
>does any one know where I can get some detailed information about SAPR/3,
>so I can do a bit of boning up for a job...any tips, WWW sites, or
>books????

Hi--

Last spring I did some documentation work with SAP R/3 for an international company who
was implementing a customization of SAP R/3. They hired a small team to customize the
corresponding online (Windows 3.1) help.

To summarize, it's a *huge* project (not necessarily difficult, though). There were
over 200 separate original .hlp files. The SAP writers necessarily need to write to the
general case, not knowing which modules their customers will implement, and how they
will apply them to their business. So, our job was to integrate and/or replace company
specific information into the existing help structure.

SAP R/3 itself is a very large tool geared towards management in the manufacturing
industry. Its contains several (5-6?) modules covering different areas such as plant
maintenance, personnel, and accounting. An implementation of SAP is, from what I've
seen, a big deal and a major financial investment for a company.

Well, there's a bit of information. I'll stop there, as I am not sure what information
you are after. I encourage you to seek SAP's web site (I do assume they have one) for
the direct scoop. Also feel free to ask me more, either on the list or via private
email.

Cheers,

Elaine