Number of actions per step

Subject: Number of actions per step
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:50:20 -0400

I realize there's not a single standard answer to this question, but when
y'all are writing step by step menu procedures, how many menu choices do
you put in a given step (I'm working on software that has several layers of
submenus, and sometimes the actual submenu choices change with individual
customer's systems). I.e. would you write:

* On the Cooking menu, point to Brownies, then point toBest Fudge, then
select With Nuts. The system will open the recipe for Fudge Brownies With
Nuts.

Or would you write

1. On the Cooking menu, point to Brownies. You will see a submenu listing
various types of brownies.
2. Point to Fudge; you will see a submenu listing several different
options based on the recipes you installed at startup.
3. Choose With Nuts. The system will open the recipe for Fudge Brownies
With Nuts.

Or would you come up with some other alternative. In other words, how much
is too much in a single step?

Marie
(who would really like some fudge brownies about now)

Marie C. Paretti
Department of English Recognition Research, Inc.
University of Wisconsin - Madison Blacksburg, Virginia
mparetti -at- facstaff -dot- wisc -dot- edu mparetti -at- rrinc -dot- com

Sometimes I feel like a dog
standin' on a tool box
in the back of a pickup truck
doin' 90 round a corner