Re: Number of actions per step

Subject: Re: Number of actions per step
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:00:57 -0400

First, I would complain about the software design ;-)

If they didn't change the software, I would write something like this:

> From the Cooking menu, select Brownies, then Best Fudge, then With Nuts.

The recipe for Fudge Brownies with Nuts is displayed.

Some notes about why I'd do it this way:
-While I'm a strong believer in "one action per step", breaking up each
menu selection as a separate action complicates, rather than simplifies,
the procedure. It also highlights the software's silly design (with
regard to sub and sub-sub menus), which you don't want to do if you
don't have to. The greater-than sign I used represents a one-step
bullet, which I would use if this procedure only had this one step.
-The passive voice "is displayed" is deliberate and this is one of the
few cases where I find it appropriate.

Mmmm. Fudge brownies....

A.
--