Re: Spaces After Full Stop--Technical Thought

Subject: Re: Spaces After Full Stop--Technical Thought
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:47:05 +0200

Matthew J Long schrieb:

> I'm not trying to correct that person because, honestly, I don't know
> what
> this function call from the Macintosh toolbox really does. But is
> seems to
> me that with a function, that can add width to a space, could do so
> conditionally (i.e. after a period is read) in the code.
>
> If this is true, then it would support the argument that the spaces
> between a period and the character that follows the space could be
> wider
> making it unnecessary to place two spaces after the full stop (At
> least on
> Macs--dunno about PCs-- haven't been programming for Windows).

Well, if you manage to write a program that can tell whether the period
actually marks the end of a sentence or is used for some other purpose
(e.g. an abbreviation), I'd like a copy. You could also sell it to Uncle
Bill for a couple of million. Might a quite a challenging assignment,
though.

Mike

--
Mike Dannenberg