"xxx." or "xxx".

Subject: "xxx." or "xxx".
From: DIGEST Barbara Diorio <BarbD33 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:27:23 -0400

Five technical writers, one office, two opinions. When a sentence ends with
a word in quotation marks, do you put the punctuation (period or comma - we
agree on the other punctuation marks) inside the quotation marks or outside
the quotation marks? The various guides that we checked all indicated that
1a and 2a (below) are correct, but some of the writers swear that they were
taught to follow 1b and 2b. What do you think?

1a. "Tell me what you think," said Barb.
1b. "Tell me what you think", said Barb.

2a. Each fix is moved to the restricted area by a "gatekeeper."
2b. Each fix is moved to the restricted area by a "gatekeeper".