Re: "xxx." or "xxx".

Subject: Re: "xxx." or "xxx".
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:55:26 -0500

I was never taught anything other than what the "guides" say, so in the
cases you proposed I would always opt for 1a and 2a. The guides do talk
about situations in which it is appropriate to put the punctuation outside
the quotes. The following two examples contrast usage

Barb said, "What do you think?"

but

How do you define the term "think"?

The only time I would deviate from what the guides say is when the
information in quotes is literal and must be unaltered to preserve meaning,
such as in the following instruction to a reader:

Enter "asdfge".

This removes the ambiguity that would exist for the reader if I put the
period inside the quote (that is, the reader would not have to ask: "Do I
enter the period or not?")

Remember this: You have documentation to back up your assertation that 1a
and 2a are the correct usages. Do those opposed to that style have
documentation backing up what they say? If so, make them produce it.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com