Re[2]: Speaking of Improper Terminology

Subject: Re[2]: Speaking of Improper Terminology
From: "Jacobson, Avi (PBD)" <Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- PBDIR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:33:24 -0700

In article <9708198746 -dot- AA874695166 -at- smtpgate -dot- bna -dot- com>,
Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com> wrote:

> "Gang" is apparently one of those words to which people can react very
> strongly. So are "abort," "slave," and "gay." The one negative
meaning
> of these words can override all other meanings.

The "one NEGATIVE [sic!] meaning" of the word "gay"? So homosexuality
is ipso facto negative? It's true: we often offend more in our attempts
to avoid offense. No doubt Melissa wanted to make a positive point
here, but she seems to have shot herself in the foot.

I am reminded of the time I visited Essen, Germany (in the 1980s) on
business. Essen is known to have been perhaps the most active
industrial capital of Hitler's war machine, where the Krupps corporation
manufactured both crematoria and gas chambers. My local guide there,
aware that I am a Jew and an Israeli, tried desperately to defuse the
tension of an obviously uncomfortable situation. In an attempt at
polite conversation, he uttered the following pearls:

Pearl One: "And this church used to be our synagogue. Too bad there are
no more Jews living here in Germany. The Jews are very intelligent
people. We would have many very intelligent people living here."

Pearl Two: "So, you are from Israel? We have been following with great
interest this war you are making in Lebanon! But why is it taking you
so long? You must get rid of these Palestinians quicker!"

I am sure my guide was just trying to be nice -- not to offend either
Jews or Palestinians. And so was Linda, in her attempt to display
sensitivity to people who are touched by issues of race (slave), choice
(abort) and sexual preference (gay). But sometimes that sort of
bending-over-backward sensitivity can produce the opposite result.

--
Avi Jacobson, email: Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- pbdir -dot- com | When an idea is
| wanting, a word
Opinions are those of the poster, =NOT= of | can always be found
Amdocs, Inc. or Pacific Bell Directory. | to take its place.