verbs

Subject: verbs
From: "Wittel, Teresa J." <WITTTJ -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 12:36:00 -0700

Jason Willebeek-LeMair is absolutely correct <giggle><snort> when he
says:

Actually, display has an intransitive use.

When monkeys want to attract a mate, they display (usually by sticking
their swollen butt in the air).

So, when I took over a large set of manuals where the screens were
displaying, I had a vivid picture of a bunch of CRTs sticking their
swollen butts in the air.

Jason
Who does not display unless trying to attract a mate.

HOWEVER, (don't you just love it) when I stopped laughing, I realized
that as a technical writer, I don't often get the opportunity to use the
intransitive usage for display.

In this vein, I suppose lay also has an intransitive use, which I also
don't use very often. (Evil grin...)