Political Correctness

Subject: Political Correctness
From: "Dorsey, Linda J." <DORSELJ1 -at- APLMSG -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:25:56 -0400

On Thursday 9/25 Matt Ion wrote:

>Of course, nobody else is allowed to call someone "crippled". Nobody
>seems to mind when one black person calls another (or even him/herself) a
>"nigger", but let a white person use the word, and all hell breaks lose.
><sigh> Talk about a double standard!
>

> Your friend and mine,
> Matt

Matt:

I usually let many little "racist" remarks slide because usually those
remarks are not as readily apparent as yours was.

I would be offended if anyone called me a "nigger": black or white. I
have many friends of all races and they too are offended by that word.
Of course we all still hear the word used today, but it's usually used
in an unsophisticated way. My black friends and I never call each
other that word.

Ignorant people will say and use whatever word(S) they want. They will
usually think pretty bizarre things also.

I could go on some more about this, but I am sure that most people on
this listserve don't feel or think like you about black people.

Linda