Re: Bar code vs. barcode -- what I've received

Subject: Re: Bar code vs. barcode -- what I've received
From: "Doug R. Carlson" <drcarlso -at- CIG -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:46:29 -0500

Hi,

Zebra Technologies Corporation (http://www.zebra.com) pretty
much "invented" the bar code from what I rememeber (not really sure "who"
actually came up with the thing). They do base the lion's share of
their business on the concept. I checked their site. They use two words
for "bar code".

Right or "wrong" (not "pc"? :-) - consistency is probably the best way to go.
At least there is no confusion re-naming the same thing different ways.
(Also, search & replace works pretty good to "fix" it later, if needed.)

My resource is: Zebra Technologies Corporation

On Sep 3, 4:57pm, Nate Rush wrote:
> Subject: Bar code vs. barcode -- what I've received
> For all who are interested...
>
> Those who have cited resources indicate the usage to be as two words --
> "bar code". Resources listed include:
>
> *the 1993 edition of The Computer Glossary
> *the 1990 edition of the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary
> *IBM Dictionary of Computing
> *Barron's Dictionary of Advertising and Direct Mail Terms
>
> Those who have set their own standards, or whose companies have set
> standards tend to lean towards one word -- "barcode". And, I suppose
> that at some point in time standard usage will be one word (like
> beginning a sentence with "And,").
>
> For now, I'll use two words and make sure I'm consistent throughout.

DRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRC
Thank You,
Doug Carlson - MOTOROLA (drcarlso or
Technical Education & Documentation drcarlso -at- cig -dot- mot -dot- com)
1 Nelson C. White Prkwy, Mundelein IL 60060
(847) 435-5714
FAX (847) 435-5541 MAIL DROP - IL100, 3rd Floor
DRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRCDRC