Re: Display/Appear

Subject: Re: Display/Appear
From: Christine Champeaux <champc -at- AIFP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 07:34:16 -0700

Here's what The Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Communications says
about the use of display vs. appears.

display (v, n)

Use as a transitive verb only, as in "the screen displays the program." For
an intransitive verb, use appears, as in "the dialog box appears." Avoid
passive constructions such as "the dialog box is displayed" if possible.

Use display as a noun to refer generically to the visual output device and
its technology, such as a CRT-based display, a flat-panel display, and so
on. Use screen to refer to the graphic portion of a monitor.

appears

Use appears as an intransitive verb; use displays as a transitive verb. If
necessary in context, you can use the passive is displayed.

Correct
If you try to quit the program without saving the file, a message appears.
The screen displays a message if you don't log on accurately.
A message is displayed if you don't log on accurately.

Christine Champeaux
Technical Writer
AIFP
15575 SW Sequoia Parkway, Suite 180