a simple question -Reply

Subject: a simple question -Reply
From: Christine Fedruk <CFED44 -at- CBOT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:17:33 -0500

Randi wrote:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
<much snipped>
There were so many punctuation, spelling, and formatting errors left by
the other Tech Writer that I had to do a major clean-up job as I
converted. ...

If I'm not "just being picky" what would you all recommend I do about it?
Do I tell the client? Do I tell the agent who placed us both here? Or do
I just keep my mouth shut and not worry about it because it's not my
problem....although essentially it is.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The replies to Randi have been interesting thus far... but nobody has
addressed the BIG issue -- the other tech writer isn't doing a good job,
and Randi's doing double-duty to cover the other's incompetence. Not a
good position to be in.

It's especially tricky since both writers were sent by the same agency... the
agency won't appreciate your telling the client that the other writer is
incompetent, but if the client isn't happy with the work, the agency won't
get to bid on any more jobs for them, anyway.

Personally, I think you'll have to bring your concerns to the agency and let
them know that you'd be happy to do the rewrite / retool work, but you
have serious misgivings about the other writer's abilities. I wouldn't advise
going straight to the client without telling your agency -- if you're going to
tell the client about the problem, it's best to have a few suggested "fixes" at
the ready. Hopefully, your agency will be receptive and will help come up
with a solution that you can live with. (And, as the others have suggested,
make sure that the cleanup job has been clearly defined and understood
before you take it on)

Good luck -- and let us know what happens!

Christine Fedruk
Chicago, IL

* * * Quote of the day: * * *
Maybe your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others