Re: Context sensitive help problems

Subject: Re: Context sensitive help problems
From: Betty Guthrie <bguthrie -at- PROMUS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:24:08 -0500

Fixing all, or at least the major part, of this is probably easier than
you'd think.

The messages like this:

>HC3037: Warning: V:\files\css-help\BULLETIN.hh :
> The map value for "Completed_Billing_Adjustments_Issues" is the
>same as the map value for "Retrieve_an_Account_by_Name".

indicate that both of the named context strings have identical context
numbers in their respective .HH files.

You can fix this in either of 2 ways. The fastest, but possibly less
desirable way, is to delete all the .RTF and .HH files, saving only the
.DOC files and the .HPJ project file. Then open the project in
RoboHelp, set up the project again, and recompile your project in
RoboHelp, thus forcing RoboHelp to re-map the files and renumber their
context strings.

If you are already calling certain context strings in your project,
which you apparently are if context sensitive help is working in some
instances, then you may not want to use this method. It would
invalidate all of the context strings that are currently being called in
the context sensitive help that does work right now.

A more tedious way, but one that is less likely to invalidate the
functioning context sensitive help, is to manually change the map
numbers in the .HH files. (Yes, I know RoboHelp says not to edit the
map files directly, but you can do it without hurting anything.)

For EACH "...map value is the same as..." error message, find ONE of the
context strings in it's .HH file and change the map number to any number
not currently being used.

For example, if you search for the context string
"Retrieve_an_Account_by_Name" in the .HH files, you will find a line
that looks something like this:

#define Retrieve_an_Account_by_Name 2600

Change ONLY the number (in this example, the number 2600) at the end of
the line, which is the map value number. (The map value number is used
to call context sensitive help.)

To continue with this example, if the line above it in the .HH file
contains a map value of 2595 and the line below it is numbered 2605, it
is usually safe to assume that numbers 2596 through 2599 and 2601
through 2604 are unused. Therefore, you could change the map value to
any of those unused numbers.

If the context strings are numbered consecutively, without skipping any
numbers, you should try to ascertain the highest map number in use (look
at the last line of each .HH file) and choose a number greater than
that.

If you don't know which .HH file the context string is in, you may have
to open and search multiple .HH files until you find it. The number you
use must NOT be in use by any other context string. If it is, you'll
just get another (different) "...map number is the same as..." error
message the next time you compile the project.

Hope this clears up your problem.

Betty Champagne Guthrie
http://www.concentric.net/~bitsnpcs