Re: Corporate writing group structure

Subject: Re: Corporate writing group structure
From: Jason Huntington <JasonH -at- CAPTURA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:23:27 -0700

When I was a writer at WordPerfect Corporation, documentation managers
were writers/editors who no longer wrote or edited (much) and who
managed groups of 15 to 23 writers and editors. Group managers reported
to Senior Doc Managers. Groups were assigned to broad product teams.
Editors were proofreaders and project managers. Writers reported to the
doc manager and participated with teams in various projects.

When Novell bought WordPerfect, the documentation groups split off to
various business units but their reporting structures stayed.

When I transferred from GroupWare (a legacy WordPerfect division) to
Client Engineering Doc in another Novell division, my manager was an
engineer cum writer. She had writing assignments like the rest of us
and additional duties such as scheduling and evaluating us. Our group
was disbanded.

I was then assigned to a team of 30+ engineers for whom I provided
everything in the way of doc.

Now I'm with a small company. I report to the Manager of Creative
Services. Our Creative Services group forms part of Marketing. One of
us provides copy for advertising and promotional pieces. Another
authors web structure and content. I am responsible for our standard
product documentation. Still another writer customizes our standard doc
for OEMs, writes small pieces in support of marketing and product
management efforts, and ensures consistency between the doc and training
materials. We all report to a manager who is neither a writer nor
engineer, but rather a marketing manager with project management and
presentation development skills.