Subject: Responses to web style guide question
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:23:15 -0700

William Rost said:

> I posted the following mail to the techwr-l and winhlp-l. Additionally,
> Becca Price cross-posted it to the copyediting-l. (Thanks, Becca!):

[snip]
> Here are the results from 11 replies:
>
> Christine Jesensky <Xine -at- MicroScript -dot- com> sent the following list,
> which has plenty of good references.

In fact, in case anyone is going to re-use this list and wants to
provide a credit, I'm the one who compiled it. Finding sources that
concentrated on web writing rather than page design was not easy,
either!!!

-- Janice Gelb

> "What is good hypertext writing?" by Jutta Degener
> http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/ht/writing-html.html
>
> "Methods of Eliminating Wordiness: A Checklist"
> (Purdue University On-Line Writing Lab)
> http://owl.english.purdue.edu/Files/127.html
>
> "Writing With Computers" (Purdue University On-Line Writing Lab)
> http://owl.english.purdue.edu/Files/124.html
>
> "Style Guide for Online Hypertext"
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/Structure.html
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/WithinDocument.html
>
> Site Design from the Yale C/AIM Web Style Guide
> http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/sites/site_design.html
>
> Some good writing tips mixed among the site design tips
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/gdr11/style-guide.html
>
> Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques
> et Commerciales Web Writing Guide
> http://www.aiesec.org/members/library/style-guide/writing.html
>
> Questions for Information Providers
> http://nic.nasa.gov/nic/web-questions.html
>
> "Technical Writing for Online Use" (paper for South Pacific User
> Support Conference 95), Jason Copeland
> http://www.massey.ac.nz/~spusc/paper/jason.html
>
> "The Poetics of Business Writing" (an interesting piece comparing
> writing business stuff to writing poems!)
> http://www.go.ednet.ns.ca/~matt.cote/wordings/BusPoet2.html

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"The first Halloween prank ever, played by a group of Druid teenagers,
was Stonehenge. (`HEY! You kids get those rocks OFF my LAWN!')"
-- Dave Barry