Re: HELP: Appendix Question

Subject: Re: HELP: Appendix Question
From: "Michael A. Lewis" <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:06:13 +1000

John L Patterson wrote:

> What's the best way to label appendixes, to use numbers or letters?
>
> In the "Chicago Manual of Style," either is OK.
>
> In the "New York Public Library Writer"s Guide to Style and Usage,~
> only letters are used.
>
> If there's a best way to label appendixes, let me know what it is. This is
> the current raging controversy in our manual's unit.
>
> John L. Patterson
> jpatters -at- APHIS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV

One factor to consider is how you are identifying chapters and pages. If
you have numbered chapters, numbered appendices are likely to be
confusing; doubly so if your page numbers include the chapter number.

I've always used letters for appendices anyway, because I think that's a
little more "conventional", and I don't like going contrary to readers'
expectations.
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited