Re: Technical Communication Terms

Subject: Re: Technical Communication Terms
From: "Michael A. Lewis" <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:27:59 +1000

Wendy Phillips wrote:

> What do you mean when you use the word "copyedit"? The dictionary defines
> a "copy editor" as an editor who prepares copy for the printer--with the
> transitive verb form as "copyedit". I guess I view it as scrubbing a
> document clean before presenting it for publication.
> And, what about the following terms:
> Substantive Edit
> Proofread
> Review

The "definitive" answer to this is not too hard to find -- though I
suspect my info is now a little out of date (ie, there's probably a more
recent edition). Mary Fran Buehler wrote "The Levels of Edit", published
by Jet Propulsion Labs, 1980 -- publication no 80-1. See also Buehler's
article in Technical Communication Vol 28 No 4 (4Q81).
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited