Printed Documentation to Online Help Questions

Subject: Printed Documentation to Online Help Questions
From: Joe Smith/Don Starr <strsmith -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 11:25:47 -0500

Greetings all,

I have been writing manuals and training guides for a couple of years
now and am finally faced with the challenge of moving printed
documentation to Online Help. Any response to the following questions
would be greatly appreciated.

The system I am documenting is made up of approximately 200+ screens. I
am creating printed documentation first and then converting it to Help.
My customer is requiring me to use RoboHelp, a software I've never used.

How do I estimate the level of effort required to generate a help
system?

Do I estimate based on topics in the User Manual or should I come up
with a list of topics specifically for Help and estimate from those?

Does anyone have suggestions or tips for designing printed documentation
that will be converted to Help?

Thanks!

strsmith -at- concentric -dot- net