Re: Peer edits

Subject: Re: Peer edits
From: Bob Jones <Bob -dot- Jones -at- PAREXEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 15:25:01 -0400

Becky,

I got another message similar to yours yesterday, so I
have a prepared response:

Your ideas about how these meetings can go is pretty
accurate. I led these review meetings for seven
manuals and sat on three other review meetings. They
can be deadly. Did I mention that you get a free
lunch for participating?

One of the things that keeps these meetings from
becoming a committee is that the project leader must
be dictatorial -- you listen to what others have to
offer and you make a decision. If the review meeting
becomes like a committee then nothing gets done. One
of the benefits of the meetings that I remember is
that we were finally able to get rid of a standard
section of front matter that had clung to our
documents for years -- no one writer working alone
would take responsibility for cutting it.

Becky, this process was the only way to finish a bunch of
books that wouldn't die. I wouldn't want to do it often,
but I needed to I would.

Bob

_________________________________
Subject: Peer edits
Author: Rebecca Carr <rebecca -at- WHITE -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM> at
Internet
Date: 10/22/97 01:02 PM

Bob:

Surely you jest! Read the book aloud...."perfect text"???

What planet are you from and who has this kind of time?

Not a flame though.

Becky

Commands: mailto:listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g.
SIGNOFF TECHWR-L) Archives:
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html,
http://www.documentation.com/, or
http://www.dejanews.com/
Subjects: JOB:, QUESTION:, SUMMARY:, ANNOUNCE:, or none
of these. Questions or problems: