BC/AD vs BCE/CE

Subject: BC/AD vs BCE/CE
From: connor <connor -at- ECENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:22:23 -0600

Hello.

You may be aware that some publications use the designations B.C.E.
(Before Common Era) and C.E. (Common Era) instead of B.C. (Before
Christ) and A.D. (Anno Domini) to refer to dates on the ancient
calendar. Recently I received a query from someone in the UK asking how
commonly B.C.E./C.E. is used here in the US. I told him B.C./A.D. is
still standard editorial practice on this side of the pond, except for
Jewish publications and a few ultra-politically-correct journals trying
to be inclusive toward non-Christians.

...On the other hand, I also know a few Christian journals use
B.C.E./C.E. because it's slightly more accurate (most scholars believe
Jesus was actually born in 1 or 2 B.C. ... or should I say B.C.E.)

Any thoughts on this subject?

Connor