Re: TECH: TMP files that won't go away

Subject: Re: TECH: TMP files that won't go away
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:36:11 -0800

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:51:41 GMT, John Cornellier wrote:

>After my colleague complained of "hard disk full" messages, I checked her PC and
>found 700MB of .TMP files! Seven hundred megabytes.

Ouch! I've cleaned a few drives of temp files in my time, but never
anything that severe!

>They were in the temp directory defined in autoexec.bat. They were also in all
>the directories containing Word docs on which she had worked. Her Win95 OS often
>crashes, so I wonder whether Office (latest version, with patch) is not cleaning
>up after itself when not closed normally.

What, like it ever did? Frankly, I've seen very few programs that did a
really good job of cleaning up after itself following an abnormal exit
(read: crash), the one possible exception being DeScribe Word Processor.
After any kind of crash - app or system - DeScribe would ALWAYS when
restarted find the image of the file that was being worked on before the
crash, and offer to reopen in. Usually no more was lost than a few
characters. At least, the OS/2 version of V5 was this good - I've
installed but never really used the Windows versions.

>Ideally I'd like to stop the PC crashing.

DELTREE C:\WINDOWS ;-)

>If I can't do that then I'd like to
>stop Office leaving TMP files all over the place. If I can't do either of those,
>then does anything like XDEL exist which I can put in autoexec.bat to get rid of
>TMP in all subdirs?

Check out 4DOS, a very powerful COMMAND.COM replacement. Its DEL command
is extremely advanced by comparison - a simple DEL /S C:\*.TMP will do in
this case, but it is almost infinitely flexible.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>