Re: QUESTION: Usability Groups

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Usability Groups
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:06:31 -0500

Sarah Gunn wrote:

>>Can you recommend:
> * workshops that you found helpful
> * Internet resources that I can check out
> * I know there are several usability mailing lists out there, can you
> recommend one or two that are the most informative
> * Books that you have read<<

I attended a *great* workshop called "Product Usability for
Documentation Professionals," presented by User Interface Engineering.
I just got e-mail announcing another session of this course coming up;
write Jared Spool at UIE (jspool -at- uie -dot- com) for information. I can't
praise this course highly enough.

I subscribe to the UTEST usability professionals' mailing list.
The list is fairly low-volume (especially compared to TECHWR-L) and the
signal-to-noise ratio is refreshingly high. Send a note to
listproc -at- hubcap -dot- clemson -dot- edu with SUBSCRIBE UTEST <yourname> in the
subject header. A real live person reads your message so be patient in
awaiting reply. And be sure to read and follow the e-mail you'll get
describing the list's history, policies, and facilities.

Buy _A Practical Guide to Usability Testing_, by Joseph S. Dumas
and Janice C. Redish, published by Ablex Publishing Company, Norwood,
NJ. ISBN 0-89391-990-X. Also _About Face: The Essentials of User
Interface Design_ by Alan Cooper, published by IDG Books Worldwide,
Foster City, CA. ISBN 1-56884-322-4. Also _Practical User Interface
Design: Making GUIs Work_ by Carl Zetie, published by McGraw-Hill Book
Company, London. ISBN 0-07-709167-1.

Peace,
jim

> jim grey \ Manager, Documentation
> Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!