Re: What's This? Help Composer and Spurious Links

Subject: Re: What's This? Help Composer and Spurious Links
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:14:17 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: David Slonosky <David -dot- Slonosky -at- ITLS -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Friday, October 24, 1997 2:12 PM
Subject: What's This? Help Composer and Spurious Links

>I'm using the What's This? Help Composer. For some reason, it shows links
as
>existing between items in some of the dialog boxes, even though the
developers
>have checked the souce code and swear no such links exist.

I'm not at all familiar with the What's This Help Composer. Could you
explain what you mean by "it shows links as existing between items in some
of the dialog boxes"? The term "link" doesn't exist in the context of VB 5
and programming. It must be used in the What's This Help Composer. Does it
mean the topic ID?

>Any ideas? And which part of the dialog box will my help be associated with
(if
>anyone else has faced this problem)?

Here are two excerpts from Blue Sky's web site that would make me think that
programmers do not have to set the WhatsThisHelpID property manually:

----- excerpt one ----------
" ... ActiveTest feature allows you to test your What's This? Help with the
application, even BEFORE the programmer has added context-sensitive Help
links to the program!"
----- end ---------------------

I'm not sure how this works, but it makes it sound as though the "linking"
occurs outside of the source files for the VB application. Is this what's
causing some confusion for you and your programmers?

----- excerpt two ----------
What's This? Help Composer is also a time-saver for the programmer. Instead
of adding several lines of code for each dialog box to call What's This?
Help, the programmer just calls a .DLL that is included with What's This?
Help Composer. It's that easy.
----- end ---------------------

From this I'd say that programmers need not even set the WhatsThisHelpID.
Rather, WHTC sets if for you and stores in an auxiliary map file. (This is
strictly a guess!) The .DLL included by the programmer can do many things
for you, such as passing a name of a control to the map file to determine
the appropriate What's This help topic.

I don't think I've been much help. Maybe I've made things worse. As always,
you can try to contact Blue Sky for help with technical questions or post to
the WinHelp list. Best of luck!

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!