Re: Chicago Documentation Opportunities

Subject: Re: Chicago Documentation Opportunities
From: Jonathan Leer <jleer -at- LTC -dot- MV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:22:53 -0500

Thanks for the response. Agencies like yours are missing the boat in regard
to the growing number of professional technical communicators who have
their own businesses. These businesses are equipped to provide professional
writing services from their own offices. Technology and production is the
issue, not location.

Anybody who is independent has done onsite work at one time or another.
However, it is really unnecessary to require a writer to be constantly
onsite. Why? Because the writing task is inherently an independent process.

Obviously interaction between writers and developers/marketers is necessary
and onsite testing may be required. But with phone, fax, email, and the
Web, most writing and communication is easily accomplished. As an aside,
many companies hiring contractors do not have the space or computer
resources to perform the documentation tasks. My firm, as well as others
who have their own business, have the latest desktop, illustration, and Web
authoring tools.

Honestly, onsite work is old thinking. Using today's technology, a remote
work force can be more productive for your clients.

Jon Leer
LEER TECHNICAL COMMUNICATIONS
Distributing Your Knowledge to the World
http://www.mv.com/ipusers/ltc
603-471-0688 voice/fax