FWD: Career changer vs. entry level

Subject: FWD: Career changer vs. entry level
From: "Wittel, Teresa J." <WITTTJ -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:56:00 -0700

>I have been writing for years without the benefit of a techie title. My
>positions have all required various types of technical writing, but have not
>been *based* on writing. After following the entry level and degree threads
>I feel that I am bound to be looked upon with a jaundiced eye by hiring
types.

To whoever,

Depending on the type of job, I would be the one who would view you with
a jaundiced eye based on your portfolio alone. I usually work in very
technical positions and look for someone with a technical background who
can demonstrate proficient writing/time management skills. Also, the
person must be detail oriented, have a positive attitude and be able to
work as part of a team. (My all time favorite criteria.)

However, many positions in technical writing (less emphasis on
technical) could benefit from "snazziness". Marketing, newsletters and
even some training coursework are good examples. From your post, I
deduce that heavy technical matter is boring and perhaps not right for
you anyway.

There are always exceptions and you may find them. I would not throw
your resume into the NO pile automatically, but it would fall behind
others with more experience and a demonstrated willingness to work with
"boring" stuff. If you have other skills that I feel are useful, my
opinion could vary.