Re: FWD: Career changer vs. entry level

Subject: Re: FWD: Career changer vs. entry level
From: Patgmason <patgmason -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 21:16:01 -0500

It's rare when I feel I have more direct expertise to offer than you wonderful
professional technical writers, but this is one of those times. A presumably
employed and experienced David Castro doubts that the hiring process is
unfriendly to career changers. I agree it's not impossible to break in, but
where I am, in a small market, I am not getting responses to various versions
of very good resumes. I've checked out the reasons why, and have found unless
I have the direct '2 years direct experience at this exact job', I'm getting
tossed out of the piles before interviews are held. I simply don't fit the
pigeonhole of qualifications someone has set up, therefore I don't get a
chance to show good work or attitude or ability.

Of course there are ways one can eventually get a foot in the door and of
course I have no business whining. I'm just getting weary of those not in the
trenches saying there's no problem. There is a problem, as all those who've
testified to the 'you must know THIS software' syndrome can agree on.

Pat Mason
who is typing for a living and considering taking up truck driving if things
stay this weird