good print/online font

Subject: good print/online font
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:19:55 -0500

Kristin Nietz <> wrote:

>Do you have any suggestions of a font that can handle this >double duty; that is, it can be equally functional/readable >whether online or in print?

Before suggesting any specifics, here's some ideas of what to look for
in a font for your needs:

--a large x-height
--a generous set-width
--strokes whose thickness varies relatively little
--strokes that aren't too thin
--if you decide on a serif, avoid slab serifs or anything too
pronounced.

Depending on the image you want to present, some fonts you might try
are:

--Gill Sans
--Stone Sans or Serif
--Avenir
--Optima
--Frutiger

I think I'd try Gill Sans first - it's technically a sans serif, but its
letter forms are strong enough that it can be used for blocks of text
without much trouble.

Hope these ideas help.
--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 688-6211 L. 290

"Did you see him on the corner
& his lip would reach the pavement,
He's been hiding from his razor,
Is he not an awful sight?
In love he was the purest,
Now he's frightening our tourists
If he went and asked his father,
I'm sure he'd put him right."
- Andy M. Stewart, Take Her In Your Arms"