USAGE: "Therefore" and "thus"

Subject: USAGE: "Therefore" and "thus"
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:24:16 -0500

Emru Townsend <emru -at- CORECO -dot- COM> wrote:

>Anyway, my question: in many of the documents, I see gleeful >overuse of "therefore" and "thus." Nine times out of ten, I >find this grating on my ear when I mentally "listen" to the >document. I'm currently looking for ways around these terms, >but most of the time, I'm stumped. The words accurately convey >the intended meaning, but they just seem wrong.

You might use a thesaurus.

However, if the words grate, they may be unnecessary, either because
they're used inappropriately or because the logical connections are
strong enough without them. Try just leaving them out.
--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 688-6211 L. 290

"Did you see him on the corner
& his lip would reach the pavement,
He's been hiding from his razor,
Is he not an awful sight?
In love he was the purest,
Now he's frightening our tourists
If he went and asked his father,
I'm sure he'd put him right."
- Andy M. Stewart, Take Her In Your Arms"