Re: Who is my audience?

Subject: Re: Who is my audience?
From: "Mitman, Rikki" <Rikki -dot- Mitman -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:54:13 -0600

I faced a similar challenge in a previous job. The approach we took may
not be the best possible, but it worked out well enough for our
audiences, so I'll offer it for your consideration.

The application we were documenting had different sets of users, with
different levels of computer experience, privileges, and
responsibilities. The documentation was task-driven.

We began by outlining the functionality of the application in general
task sets. Each task set was broken down into the parts various users
would perform. A section would begin with the lowest level tasks and
move to the higher levels. Where appropriate, cross-references to more
detailed instructions were included.

In some instances, this meant we repeated a lot of material, but that
was largely cut and paste, so the only time involved was what it took to
organize. The one manual was more cumbersome than separate manuals would
have been, but that was a constraint we had to work with. To help make
it more usable, we took great pains with the table of contents and
index, so users could find what they needed quickly and easily.

If you can only produce one format, and you also have to do training, it
seems to me the print manual is the way to go. Your less experienced
users may not know how to use online help, and may be frustrated by
that. Also, if you use the manual in training, the users will be more
comfortable with it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Rikki Mitman, Tech Writer
ECG Technology Communications