documentation in a manufacturing environment

Subject: documentation in a manufacturing environment
From: mmarkley <mmarkley -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:59:51 -0700

I am looking for a few people who have documentation and/or training
experience in a manufacturing environment and would be willing to share
some information regarding their experiences. I am in the process of
streamlining my department's documentation practices, and I would like
to get an idea how other companies are meeting the needs of their
manufacturing departments. (If you like buzzwords, read "benchmarking.")

In a nutshell, here's what I do:
I'm the documentation supervisor for the Assembly department at Micron
Technology, Inc. (a computer memory manufacturer in Boise, ID). My
documentation group is responsible for creating and maintaining training
materials and operation procedures for approximately 150 manufacturing
engineers/technicians and 350 production operators. I would characterize
the nature of our documents to be 75% hardware-related, 10%
software-related, and the remaining 15% contains safety and
administrative procedures and information.

If you have experience in a similar environment, and you would be
willing to share some information regarding your methods for document
creation, distribution and maintenance, please contact me off-line. If
there is enough interest from the general list I will post a summary of
some sort.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Markley