Re: Career changer vs. entry level

Subject: Re: Career changer vs. entry level
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:49:21 -0800

Yes, I have experienced the same phenomenon, Pat. I found it very difficult
to get into the tech writing biz even though I was working as a computer
journalist and had many years of writing and editing experience under my
belt.

Not only is it the case that employers want you to know exactly this and
that software app, and won't credit you with the ability to learn it on the
fly, but they also apply the same attitude to other aspects of the job. As
if ten years of journalistic experience can't be applied to writing
procedures or editing a software manual.

The irony of tech writing, and it's dirtly little secret, IMHO, is how a
field consisting largely of career changers and transplants from other
fields, makes it so darn difficult to break into. I hope that the emergence
of college curricula and degree programs in technical writing do something
to make the field more easily accessible to qualified people.

- tgr