Re: rec a java book?

Subject: Re: rec a java book?
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:32:39 -0600

Has anyone successfully taught themselves java? If so, would you
mind clueing me into what books/cdroms you used. I have simple
computer programming experience [cobol,basic]. I've seen the cdroms
offered by tiger, and of course the oreilly 'nutshell' book.

I almost wonder why anyone with web access beginning to learn Java wants to
*buy* anything? On www.javasoft.com there's an abundance of tutorial
material, and the SDKs to build java applets and java apps are freely
available all over the web. (I began my walk into Java with the javasoft
tutorial and the free 30-day trial version of Roaster.)

There's enough freely available material (heck, even MacTech magazine has
some java basics on their site) that it would seem profligate to buy
anything until you've spent enough time with Java to know precisely what
subjects you want to see covered in more detail.

But then I'm a cheapskate.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224