Entry level

Subject: Entry level
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:29:22 +0800

Maury wrote:
> While I do not have a degree in technical communications and have a
> long record of success in the field, I've often been made to feel that
> I'm a usurper because I didn't acquire a degree in the profession.
> However, I've been made to apologize for my educational history so
> many times that I've just decided that any company that tries to make
> me feel small because my degree is completely unrelated to the field
> is a company for which I have no desire to work.

Congratulations! With that decision, you step out of the ditch and
onto the highway to happiness.

No-one else can make you feel small. Only you can make you feel small.

I think this degree-no-degree pseudo-debate will only go away when
people realise that hiring managers' opinions of our skills are largely
irrelevant. If you know you're a good writer, nothing anyone else can
say should shake that. If you have a nagging, uneasy feeling that
you're not quite up to it. . . well, that's a hole that no job and no
qualification will ever be big enough to fill.

Regards
---
Stuart "watch out for the oncoming traffic though" Burnfield
Functional Software Pty Ltd
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au