Re: Word to Frame

Subject: Re: Word to Frame
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:26:55 -0500

Barb

...if you were around about a week ago, you saw my plea for anyone with
FM5.5 available to contact me. Sure enough, I located a source in
Denver, received the product, and went to work learning Frame over the
weekend. I have to add that last Saturday, I found a copy of the book
"Adobe's Learning Adobe FrameMaker" last Saturday and this is what I
used to learn how to use Frame.

Prior to learning Frame, I'd was VERY experienced with Word, from
version 6 through 97 and was able to most of what I needed to do in my
sleep. (when you had a job that required you to create almost 200 pages
of proposals per week, you learn the application real fast.

Anyway, I started a contract last Monday, at 9:30 am and by 10:30, was
creating material using FM5.5.

Gotta tell ya..I'll admit that while I haven't scratched the surface of
FM in the last week, I did find that it wasn't really tha tough to
create decent looking and effective material. As I said in the previous
message, the document I turned in this afternoon was about 110 pages,
and all but 3-4 pages was created from scratch (typed by hand). it
contains a number of styles, tables, imported graphics, headers,
footers, etc. Next week, I tackle indexing, TOC, and cross-referencing.

I founf the trick is to learn what you need to do what you need to do.
If you don't need a TOC the first week, don't learn how to generate a
TOC.

As far as converting Word to Frame, understand that Frame does
somethings that Word doesn't. I created my document in one column with
a sidebar. Frame does this real well. I sidebar looks like this:

xxxxxx kddjfhgksdjfnbvnsd;
kjokj kj [j'l kjlk
kjjn;kmh088uyhikjg

xxxxxx lkjpiuyhpkm ;u
;mkm';]pplk ol

The problem is that Word converts this to:

xxxxxxxx

jhjnpjhn;kjhn;kj
lkj'lkm'lkmn'lk
;lm,'klm'l

xxxxxxx

'lkj;kjh;kj
lkj[piughp
l;k'lkjh;kljn

In my experience, it retained the formating, handled table OK, graphics
OK (I create the graphic in a graphic program and inport the graphic as
opposed to drawing it with Frame.

All in all, the week was very educational and I learned a whole bunch
real fast

--
John Posada
Technical Communications

No animals were injured in the creation of this message.