Bold, Italics, etc.

Subject: Bold, Italics, etc.
From: John Prince <prince1 -at- WEBTV -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 11:42:25 -0600

I was always taught to bold any actions the user must perform. Not the
entire sentence of course, only the button name, "Click Save," or
Menu/Submenu selections, "Go to File>Save."

I was also taught not never to underline anything, as underlining was
simply used on typewriters before there was the italics function.

Obviously there are those that differ, but hey - it's what I do.

Now, I do have a question about dialog boxes. Do you guys write the
name of a dialog box in bold or italics? Or do you simply write it in
plain text? I prefer to write them in bold, BUT...sometimes when you
have other words in bold (actions) and you write the dialog boxes in
bold, in the same sentence, it's seems a bit too much.

John
http://members.tripod.com/~princej/DC.html (The Great Dallas Cowboys)