Re: BC/BCE

Subject: Re: BC/BCE
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 13:32:09 +0200

Arlen (& others), as a non-Christian I'm bothered not so much by
the Christian significance of the baseline date as by the Christian
allegiance implied by the abbreviations.

BC doesn't mean just "before the once-accepted date of Jesus'
birth," it means "before Christ," i.e. before the Messiah.
(Christ wasn't his family name, you know.)

AD doesn't mean just "after the once-accepted date of Jesus'
birth," it means "anno domini," i.e. the year of the Lord.

Since I'm not a Christian, this is not the 1997th year of the
Lord in my personal opinion, nor in my personal opinion was the
year -1997 the 1997th year before the Messiah. And since
religion is rather a matter of conscience, I think it's
wrong to expect me to declare years in that fashion.

- Mark L. Levinson - Memco Software - Wallenberg 24 - 69719 Tel Aviv
- work: mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il / tel. 03-6450049 / fax 03-6450001
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il / tel. 09-9552411 or 09-9555720