Re: bc/bce

Subject: Re: bc/bce
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:34:45 -0500

Henry,

>Terminology changes in time and associations lose their significance of
>alter. That is what keeps the deconstructionists going. If one were to
>extend your argument, we would paying pagan homage to Woden every
>wednesday.

Some still do. <GGG>

I think the argument here is whether the terms BC and AD *have*
changed in association and have lost their (original) significance.
It seems to me that several people have said that the terms have
*not* lost that significance and take exception to their use.

Will the use of CE (Common Era) and BCE (Before the Common Era)
resolve this? Time will no doubt tell, but for now it appears that the use
of BC/AD is a sore point with many.

--Joe
joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com