Re: QUESTION: British vs. American spelling

Subject: Re: QUESTION: British vs. American spelling
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 15:41:50 -0500

Ed,

>How about "preventive maintenance" or "preventative maintenance" ? My
>British and Australian colleagues insist on the latter. I believe that
>"preventative' is the noun form and should not be used in this way (as an
>adjective).

The Merriam-Websters Tenth New Collegiate Dictionary calls "preventative"
both an adjective and a noun (first used ca. 1666), and defines it as
"preventive".

Though I have noticed a fairly recent trend in the US to use "preventive",
this dictionary says "it's a distinction without a difference".

--Joe
joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com