Re: QUESTION: Moving from WinHelp to HTML Help

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Moving from WinHelp to HTML Help
From: Leslie McKendry-Smith <McKendrySmith -at- MBNET -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 08:45:01 -0600

When I started my current project developing a hard copy user's guide and
online help, my client asked if I could write the help in HTML Help. At the
time (mid- August) I had looked at HTML Help but was a long way from being
able to develop a full and useful online document in it. Two and a half
months later, I'm only slightly closer, but I haven't given up.

A couple of weeks ago I downloaded a book titled "Mastering Microsoft HTML
Help" from Blue Sky's site ( http://www.blue-sky.com ). Although most of the
content is marketing information for RoboHelp and HTMLHelp, the book does a
good job of describing the features of HTML Help and when HTML Help might be
a better choice over Winhelp.

If I use HTML help for this project, I will be using the compiled version.
That way my client only has to manage topic, content, and index files
instead of having to keep track of a pile of HTML files.

I know that there are a couple of books on the subject but I haven't seen
any of them in the bookstores yet. (Recommendations anyone?) I won't be
making a final decision until I learn more about linking the help file to
the program for context sensitive help. Right now, neither the developers or
I have a clue!

Yes, I beleive that HTML Help is trendy. <rant>It seems to me that HTML
Help is being pushed on us by Microsoft before it's ready and being picked
up by developers who are more interested in the lastest technology than
producing readable documentation in a usable interface.</rant>

Leslie McKendry-Smith

Leslie McKendry-Smith mckendry -at- mbnet -dot- mb -dot- ca
Documents OnLine Technical Writing Services
http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/~mckendry/doconlin/