Re: Embarrassingly basic font question

Subject: Re: Embarrassingly basic font question
From: David Knopf <david -at- KNOPF -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:44:14 -0800

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> > Before you see Adobe Type Manager as the solution to your problems, be
> > aware that it can destroy your on-screen display.
>
> Just a bit of anecdotal evidence... when I installed ATM it trashed my
> TrueType fonts. I had to reinstall them (after deleting ATM, which I
> didn't need anyway).

Tracy,

What do you mean by trashed? When you install ATM, you get the option of
replacing your existing TrueType fonts with PostScript equivalent. For
example, if you have a TrueType version of Palatino, the ATM installer
would remove it and replace it with the PostScript Palatino font. This
would be a benefit for someone who continues to use ATM. But if the next
thing you did after installing ATM was to un-install it, yes many of
your TrueType fonts would be missing. Is this what happened?

-- David Knopf

David Knopf Tel: 415-731-8398 david -at- knopf -dot- com
Knopf Online Fax: 415-731-8399 http://www.knopf.com/
* Writing * WinHelp * Web Sites * Training * Consulting *
"Blue Sky RoboHELP Certified Trainer"