Re: Embarrassingly basic font question

Subject: Re: Embarrassingly basic font question
From: David Knopf <david -at- KNOPF -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:41:36 -0800

Virginia Day wrote:

> Before you see Adobe Type Manager as the solution to your problems, be
> aware that it can destroy your on-screen display. After installing
> PageMaker (on Win95) the text in cc:Mail and Word started to
> disappear. After I stopped ATM, my display was fine. I never did find
> out what the underlying technical problem was, but I know to keep ATM
> off so I can see what I write.

Before you act too quickly on the advice of someone who found a problem
doesn't know what caused it, rest assured that ATM works just fine and
has not destroyed the display of any of the many, many people I know who
use it. I am personally running it on four different systems with never
a problem.

> Also, if you have postscript fonts, you need a postscript printer.
> Upgrading an HP for postscript (including adding memory) costs about
> $500 and takes a few weeks (to order parts). You might have a
> PS-enabled printer, but if you don't, ....

This is not true. One of the features of ATM is that enables you to
print PostScript fonts on PCL printers. Printing is a bit slower than it
is with a PostScript printer, but you certainly do not "need" a
PostScript printer in order to use PostScript fonts.

-- David Knopf

David Knopf Tel: 415-731-8398 david -at- knopf -dot- com
Knopf Online Fax: 415-731-8399 http://www.knopf.com/
* Writing * WinHelp * Web Sites * Training * Consulting *
"Blue Sky RoboHELP Certified Trainer"