Re: resume on a web page (slight digression)

Subject: Re: resume on a web page (slight digression)
From: "John Posada (work account)" <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 09:52:42 -0500

Matt...

What I may have ommitted is that for the short term during the initial
discussion with the agency, the ascii resume is fine. However, there
would come a time during the discussion when I would agree to have the
resume forwarded on to their client to set up an appointment. It was at
this point that the formatted version issue came up. As you know,
sometimes looks count as much as content.

John

Matt Ion wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:12:04 -0500, John Posada (work account) wrote:
>
> > I posted my asci resume on the
> >net and almost without exception, an agency would eventually ask for a
> >formatted version.
>
> I suppose they could justify this, considering the line of work, but if
> it were me, and an agency or prospective employer insisted on a formatted
> version of an ASCII resume they've already seen, I'd probably shuffle
> them down the list of hopefuls a bit. They've already got the CONTENT -

ALL agencies are down on the list of hopefuls until they can place me in
front of the client. I'm not trying to justify the process, this just
has been my experience.

> does the chance of employment change simply on the basis of how nicely
> that content is laid out?

Sometimes...does not wearing a tie to an interview ever effect the
outcome of the interview (for right or wrong)?

> As I say, for this line of work, it MIGHT (depending on whether they
> expect the WRITER to be a LAYOUT person as well), but on the whole...
> feh.

Formatting just plain makes information easier to read and
understand...why else are we doing it...to show our artistic
capabilities?

John Posada
--
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global
Network