Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test (A Daydream)

Subject: Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test (A Daydream)
From: Miark <miark -at- MIJENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 11:18:09 -0600

>One guy first takes out the instruction leaflet and reads it. After a
>while he's able to set the time correctly, adjust for time zones, set
>the alarm and switch between 12 and 24 hour display. Congratulations.
>You've found your technical writer.
>
>Or what?

My gut instinct is the "what." I think it's most important to get an idea of
how one will perform the _job_in question_, so I would want to test them on
tasks based on the job.

Since the position precludes starting with finished docs--that's what
they're there to write, right?-- it would probably be more appropriate to
test their ability figure things out by themselves (what I call "play
skills") which is closer to what we really do.

Mike

Did I say "they're there to write, write"? Gee, I was a poet and didn't know
it. Doh!