Printing PDF graphics

Subject: Printing PDF graphics
From: David Hirschler <DGHirschler -at- AUTOMATEDLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:58:22 -0500

The Distiller can only handle what you give it. Poor quality or
disappearing graphics could be the result of the file format you are using.
For example, for raster images you might try PCX or BMP rather than TIF, or
for vector images, EPS or EMF rather than WMF or DXF. Since many software
companies purchase import/export filters from other developers, switching
to a different filter may produce good results.

There could be a bug in the filter you are using to export your graphics.
This happened to me with an EMF file produced from Canvas. The drawing
looked great in PageMaker, but in the resulting PDF, half the graphic was
missing. I used a different filter to solve the problem.

I have also seen improved results by switching to a different Postscript
printer driver and PPD file. Try the latest Adobe postscript driver
available on their web site.

Avoid hairlines. Some high-resolution print drivers can make these lines
virtually disappear. You won't see this happen when you make a laser print
of it because the printer's resolution may not be as fine as say, a
Linotronic image setter. Or you could go ahead and use a 600 dpi printer
driver just so the hairlines don't disappear when you make your PS file.

Last resort -- reinstall Distiller. I have seen it become corrupted on
some machines. Reinstalling the software fixed the problem.