Re: LICENSE for WRITING required in LA

Subject: Re: LICENSE for WRITING required in LA
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:43:39 +0100

Dimock, Dick schrieb:

> And you thought the Certification Wars were intense.
>
> Technical Writers, working out of their Los Angeles
> homes, must be licensed and taxed. This law holds true
> even if the writing is done away from home, "on location"
> outside the City.
>
> The Independent Writers of Southern California
> (IWOSC) president, Marvin Wolf , has attacked the
> law. He charges that ambiguity causes a real possibility
> that a writer could be denied a license to write if the
> writer does not satisfy some unspecified criteria (such
> as political affiliation?). Thus individual writers could be
> jailed for writing without a license. Plus, the City has the
> power to inspect the writer's home for compliance with
> this law and *all* other city codes.

Hey, I think we should treat this as a great opportunity to weed out all
those writer wannabes. The criteria would of course have to be specific
and unambiguous, like being able to split 20 infinitives in 15 seconds,
turn sentences from active to passive and back again on a dime and being
able to type at 100 wpm. Just think, how good it would look on your
business card - Licensed Writer. We'd finally get the credit and
compensation due to us. Hell - I'll have to write to my MP right away.

Mike

--
Mike Dannenberg
ETAS GmbH & Co.KG