Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test (A Daydream)

Subject: Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test (A Daydream)
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:48:55 +0100

Eric J. Ray schrieb:

> I'll bite.

Ouch!

> Answer: Nope. You may have found a successful user, but
> in my experience, you'll be better off with people who can
> puzzle out how to make it work, and then explain it
> to everyone else in the group. Or, with people who start
> interrogating you--the SME for lack of anyone else--about
> where the docs are and how the darn thing works.

Well well. Another of my pathetic little illusions cruelly shattered. So

far I always thought techwriters were the only people who ever read
documentation and that's why they usually know more that other people
and can tell them how to do it. Now I realise I'm utterly utterly alone
and no one but me ever reads any documentation at all. Booohooohooo!

OK. Serious. Reading the docs is usually the first thing I do, and I
think it has always helped me understand things faster than by just
playing around. Even if the documentation is lousy, it usually provides
at least some kind of useful information that would be very hard or even

impossible to find out otherwise. Dear me, here I am justifying the
value of reading documentation on the bloody techwriter list! Well,
anyway folks, why not give it a try sometime, you might be surprised.

Mike

--
Mike Dannenberg
ETAS GmbH & Co.KG