Quick Reference Guide - format

Subject: Quick Reference Guide - format
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:56:40 -0800

Frank Taylor asks:

>What do our members consider to be the most popular format of a Quick
>Reference Guide (on a software program) and what should it contain?

I think the format depends a lot on the software for which the quick
reference is created, and the amount of information you need to convey.

>Is the 'flip card' format (with a spiral across the top) acceptable? It
>is free standing and can be placed next to the screen.

The flip card format is effective when the reference contains a large
amount of information that can be broken down into clear chunks, one of
which fits on each card. This format works well when you have graphics
with callouts.

You are right, it fits well into the majority of work spaces, and it is
helpful to have the info stand up next to the screen.

>Or is something (say A5 size) printed on chromo card or laminated that
>unfolds up to a total of 4-6 pages, preferred?

If the information you need to convey is concise, easily formatted into
narrow columns, and there isn't too much of it, folding reference cards are
ideal. For instance, the FrameMaker quick reference has been my constant
companion, in its various incarnations, for a number of years.

>What basic subjects should the guide cover?

Depending on the software, I have been known to include: an overview of the
program's menu structure (in the pre-windowing environment days); a list of
common keystrokes; a list of the syntax of common function calls; a diagram
of jumper settings; and whatever else I want at my fingertips when I use or
re-configure a system.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
editrix -at- slip -dot- net / mjk -at- synon -dot- com

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"